Ok so I can’t take credit for this one. A fellow food blogger over at The Roasted Root is responsible for this little masterpiece. And I’d like to thank her over and over and over again. Also, I should mention I’ve been eating baked oatmeal for about 7 days now. And not because I made too much, but because it was so good that after I finished it I made it again.
Let me try and describe this to you. It’s like the perfect mixture of banana bread and oatmeal. It’s slightly sweet and warm and delicious. Also, it’s healthy! Until you drown it in maple syrup, like I do, but it’s still better for you than the bagels I’ve been eating for the last two weeks. I’ve got a bagel addiction, have I ever mentioned this? Einstein’s asiago cheese bagel to be exact.
Back to the oatmeal. I’m actually not a fan of plain old oatmeal in a bowl. I mean, I eat it but I definitely don’t enjoy it. Which is a shame because oatmeal is so good for you. But this banana bread baked oatmeal is something completely different. Let’s just say if I had to choose between a bagel and the baked oatmeal, I’d go oatmeal. *GASP* I can’t believe I just said that. But it’s true.
Like most of the items on my blog, this is super versatile. I recently made it with pumpkin instead of bananas and it was equally as delicious. Also, feel free to add nuts or raisins or berries.
Oh did I mention it’s easy to make too? I feel like that’s important to note. Happy oatmeal eating!
- 2 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 ripe bananas (mashed)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups almond milk
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease well an 8" x 11" baking dish
- In a bowl mix together the oat, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt
- In a separate bowl mix together the mashed bananas, brown sugar, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Combine the banana mixture into the oat mixture and combine.
- Pour mixture into a grease baking dish, and bake for 35-40 minutes
- Serve with sliced bananas and maple syrup