Have you heard of Paleo? It’s a diet
that goes back to what our hunter/gatherer ancestors would eat and is supposedly very good for you because you’re not eating anything processed or hard to digest. Sounds simple right? There are a few rules. No grains, no peanuts, no beans, no dairy and definitely no ice cream. Just meat and vegetables.
Paleo goes hand in hand with Crossfit and my aunt and uncle own a CrossFit, so I thought why not make a recipe for them? What’s CrossFit you ask? It’s where you do a ton of crazy exercises like lifting a full grown boxer above your head or giving someone a piggy-back ride for miles or towing a truck with your body. OK. That’s not all CrossFit is. You should just check out their site for more details. I’m just going off of what I observe.
That’s my sweet cousin Andrew and his dog Abe. They’re doing CrossFit together in his living room.
I did Crossfit once. I was so sore the next day that I was running a low grade fever. The saddest part is that I only did half of the exercises that everyone else was doing. I haven’t made it back :/
Anyway, back to this casserole. Chris LOVED it, but that’s really no surprise because he loves meat. I actually thoroughly enjoyed it as well. It was so simple and very flavorful. The key is the sausage. Get a nice flavorful sausage and you can’t fail.
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
- ½ lb ground chicken
- ½ lb andouille pork sausage
- 1 egg plus 1 egg white
- ¼ cup chicken broth (or water)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spread sweet potato and butternut squash cubes on a cookie sheet, toss in coconut oil and bake for 25 minutes
- While the squash/potato mixture is roasting, heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add pork and chicken and cook until starting to brown. (5 minutes)
- In a bowl, whisk egg, egg white and broth together.
- When squash/potatoes are done roasting, transfer to a baking dish along with the sausage combination. Pour egg mixture on top and toss everything
- Bake for 20 minutes then serve.